Anti-Aging Nutrition TipsOctober 2, 2018
It’s never too late to try and slow down or even reverse the effects of ageing on your body, both aesthetically and internally. One of the best ways is by watching what you eat. Here are some nutrition tips to keep your body young!
- Eat antioxidants: A diet rich in meats, fruits, and vegetables packed with antioxidants help by protecting your cells against free radicals. Antioxidants such as Vitamin E, B, and beta-carotene help by preventing cell damage. Food such as fish, poultry, almonds, and carrots are just some of the many choices out there that can help.
- Probiotics: Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, and yogurt have anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidants. Probiotics help improve digestion, boost the immune system, and maintain a healthy weight.
- Protein: Maintaining muscle mass is important as it starts to decline as you age. Protein is the best way to do that. You can find protein in meat, dairy, fish, and soybeans. In addition to helping to build and maintain muscles, its importance in tissue cell creation means it’s also important to enjoy healthy-looking hair well into old age.
- Healthy fat: Yes, there is such a thing as good fat! Omega-3 fatty acids, such as EPA, DHA, and ALA can be found in fish, nuts, and seeds. They help reduce joint pain and stiffness, and studies have found that they may be able to help boost the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs for arthritis. If you’re not keen on eating too much seafood, consider taking Omega-3 supplements after talking about it with your doctor.
- Water: If you feel thirsty, then you’re already in the earliest stages of dehydration. Stay hydrated all the time to help your cells replenish their nutrients such as oxygen. As you age, the importance of hydration is ever more paramount, especially in hotter climates.
At John Hart MD, our clinic helps you achieve your best self through wellness and functional medicine. We want to to be as healthy as possible to enjoy life and we wish to assist you on that journey. Contact us today to learn how we can help.