Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is characterized by difficulty falling and/or staying asleep. People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and have trouble falling back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Feeling tired upon waking
Types of Insomnia
There are two types of insomnia, primary insomnia and secondary insomnia:
- Primary Insomnia: Sleep problems that are not directly associated with other health conditions or problems
- Secondary Insomnia: Sleep problems because of an external factor such as a health condition (like asthma, depression, arthritis, cancer or heartburn); pain; medication they are taking; or substance they are using such as alcohol.
Symptoms of Insomnia
- Sleepiness during the day
- General tiredness
- Problems with concentration or memory
If you are interested in learning about treatment options for insomnia, contact our office to book a consultation.